Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Sr Software Engineering Manager
Our client, an educational nonprofit based in the Pacific Northwest is seeking a Senior Software Engineering Manager. The Senior Software Engineering Manager we’re looking to hire will be helping continue the transformation of our client into a cloud-first (AWS), microservices-based development environment with solid SecDevOps practices and robust data quality management. You’ll be working with our flagship State product and helping to accelerate the development of teams across the enterprise. You should be a confident leader who can bring order to chaos but still engaging enough to bring other leaders along in the journey to enact positive changes. You will work directly with teams and be responsible for the “How” of production as well as the overall delivery quality. You’ll maintain some knowledge of the weeds by doing some non-critical development or testing. Teamwork is your calling card, and you consider the internal client’s part of the team.
If you think you’d be a good fit, we want to hear from you!
Skills Required of the Senior Software Engineering Manager:
- Demonstrated strong team leadership and mentoring with engineers of differing skills and ability levels
- Demonstrated teamwork with peer managers in a partnering or support scenario
- Ability to build relationships across multiple stakeholders, excellent interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a highly iterative, agile, and open team environment
- Understanding of and experience with large, multi-faceted and complex systems
- Ability to think strategically, and then to develop and execute plans to implement the necessary strategies.
- Understanding of systems development life cycle that includes knowing when and how to apply the process to software and systems development
- Ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience
- Ability to bring clarity and make progress in ambiguous or uncertain situations and environments
- AWS, Data Exposure
Responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineering Manager:
- Conducting research with stakeholders
- Dealing with complex applications and problems (Not just standard web form)
- Bring culture into day-to-day life. Foster alignment to our mission, culture, and initiatives from an engineering organization perspective.
- Be a team player. Communicate effectively and foster collaborative team culture among directs, peers and cross functional/technical teams within the organization
- Be a coach. Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development within an Agile development environment
- Be a technical visionary. Evolve the existing software system applications and architecture in various areas such interoperability, data security and integration standards, etc. as needed
- Be a quality champion. Establish technical priorities, standards, and procedures, build technical capabilities, reduce technical debt, and implement best practices in the team
- Be a partner. Work Together with the Product Owner to plan and execute projects, ensure that teams have appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver products effectively.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the success of the team and the organization
Preferred Education & Experience of the Senior Software Engineering Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree required (a major in computer science or a related field is preferred). An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- Minimum five years of experience in the software development industry required
- Minimum five years of experience successfully leading development teams with full management responsibilities required
- Knowledge of at least one modern programming language or automated testing framework.
- Preference given to candidates with experience in Python, Java, or exposure to data infrastructure.
- Strong preference given to candidates who have experience instituting a transformational technical change across teams.
- Experience understanding the migration path, opportunities, and obstacles to a fully DevOps environment with CI/CD enablement.
- Preferred experience with microservices architecture, serverless or AWS technologies.
**We are unable to accommodate corp. to corp. candidates**
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
AP ($150k+ DH) 10197