Black Business Association of Oregon
Hybrid remote and in-office at BBA-Oregon headquarters
The Black Business Association of Oregon (“BBA-Oregon”) is a newly founded organization aimed at advocating and promoting the successful development of Black-owned businesses. It is focused on improving economic equity across Oregon’s communities of color.
For more information on BBA-Oregon, visit https://bbaoregon.org/
The Communications Director will partner with the Executive Director, Board Members, staff, and other colleagues to develop and execute a strategic and influential communications strategy that furthers BBA-Oregon’s mission to improve economic prosperity and resiliency for Black businesses and residents across the state of Oregon.
The Communications Director will work in close partnership with BBA-Oregon’s Executive Director to:
- Develop and manage an influential voice and brand strategy for the organization
- Partner with colleagues and strategic partners to identify and analyze target audiences (e.g., Government agencies, cross-sector institutions, businesses, and nonprofit organizations)
- Set goals and objectives to track performance metrics
- Manage all communications and marketing strategies and related tactics (e.g., website development, social media, media relations, content, and collateral development, earned media, and participation in speaking events)
The Communications Director will serve as one of BBA-Oregon’s key spokespeople with internal and external audiences, particularly with the media on BBA-Oregon’s strategic priorities and accomplishments. In addition, the Communications Director will play a key role in facilitating, obtaining, and sharing the journeys of Black business owners, nonprofit leaders, and other key strategic partners across media platforms.
The Communications Director reports to the Executive Director and is part of a cross-cutting support team that works closely with Board Members, strategic partners, and Black business owners across the state of Oregon.
Salary range for Communications Director: $80,000-$90,000
- Implement and manage all agency-wide communications, and develop an effective branding strategy
- Lead the execution and effective implementation of comprehensive communication and marketing strategy consistent with BBA-Oregon’s strategic goals, programmatic priorities, and vision
- Create a distribution strategy to maintain all print and digital collateral, products, and resources (e.g., brochures, newsletters, social media, videos, and website development)
- Promote BBA-Oregon’s communications resources and platforms for effective expansion of the organization’s network, and develop a robust supporter following
- Develop and track an effective communications and marketing budget that allows for a broad reach and brand recognition across the state of Oregon
- Manage communications and marketing performance measures against strategic goals and intended outcomes
- Train the Executive Director, Board Members, and colleagues to improve communication capabilities across relevant platforms and contexts (e.g., social media, press and the art of interviewing, and speaking engagements)
- Support the Executive Director in keeping the BBA-Oregon’s Board and key stakeholders aware of key achievements and success stories
Brand and Voice
- Partner with the Executive Director to define (refine), promote, and manage BBA-Oregon’s branding position and voice to advance the organization’s overall strategic goal and engage key stakeholders and partners to fulfill its mission and initiatives
- Act as spokesperson and first point of contact for media inquiries and with external partners
- Identify key attitudes and opportunities for BBA-Oregon’s Executive Director and Board Members to represent the organization during interviews, speaking engagements, and other public contexts
- Cultivate strong working relationships with key stakeholders within the media, business/corporate sector, nonprofit/philanthropic organizations, and government relations
Culture Development (Growth) and Success
- Prioritize with Executive Director and Board to develop a comprehensive culture plan to steward shared responsibility and success by educating Board, staff, and strategic partners about their specific roles and how their engagement partners with the communications strategy to advance BBA-Oregon’s overall priorities and brand
- Contribute with Executive staff to organizational growth, strategic planning, and program development
- Foster an internal and external culture that encourages the promotion and advancement of inclusion, equity, and justice across the state of Oregon
- Develop and maintain long-term plans and consistently measure progress against them
- Actively seek credible information from a variety of sources
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written skills
- Organized planning skillset, and an ability to maximize efficient use of resources
- Adapt to positive change, and a willingness to grow
- Personable personality that can recognize the importance of and cultivate relationships
- Acts without being prompted, and an ability to provide unsolicited and proactive input
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Communications, Marketing or equivalent
- 8-10 years of communications or marketing strategy experience in the corporate or business association industries
- Proven knowledge of media strategy (e.g., Interviews, public information, and press releases)
In this role, the Communications Director would have some overnight and weekend travel (10-20%) with provided reasonable accommodations. The Black Business Association of Oregon (“BBA-Oregon) is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels challenged, appreciated, respected, and engaged. BBA-Oregon prohibits discrimination and harassment and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to any characteristic (or classification) protected by applicable law.