POSITION: Performance Engineer
Our client is looking for a fulltime Performance Engineer to join their SRE team! This Performance Test Engineer develops, configures and runs the load and stress tests and collects scalability and performance data. Working with the SRE team and adjacent development teams, the performance test engineer analyzes and publishes test results and troubleshoots failures occurring during the tests. The performance test engineer recommends system configuration and tuning improvements based on observations made during the load tests.
- Analyze the current state of the application and infrastructure, designing appropriate solutions and working with teams to implement them
- Design, develop and execute automated tests to validate solutions and environments
- Maintain and extend the load test framework including all programs and scripts that prep environments, create data sets, consolidate results and clean up after load tests.
- Execute Load/Performance Tests that integrate workloads from multiple teams
- Perform analysis of performance test results
- Assist in finding and removing performance bottlenecks that prevent NWEA from exceeding its targeted concurrency and SLA goals
- Participate in regular meetings, both within the team and across it, to discuss previous accomplishments, upcoming goals and any roadblocks in the way
Skills and abilities
- Deep Linux systems knowledge and administration background, Windows experience is a plus
- Hands-on experience with SQL with ability to apply experience to PostgreSQL
- Understanding of and ability to work within Java or Python
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting and communication skills
- Experience with Application Performance Management (APM), Network Performance Management (NPM), and Real User Monitoring (RUM) tools and data are a big plus
- Ability to support the web platform during off-hours
Education and experience
- 5+ years relevant work experience in one or more of the following: Software QA Engineering, Software Development or Linux System Engineering
- 2+ years creating and performing Load/Performance tests with Jmeter, SOASTA or LoadRunner or similar tools.
- Demonstrated experience planning, developing, and collaborating on load test frameworks with one or more of the following: Python, PERL, Java, C++ or similar languages
- Database knowledge preferably PostgreSQL and MongoDB
- Understanding of Internet protocols and programming, including HTTP, session management, HTML