SEC Reporting Manager
The SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting Manager manages the preparation, review and submission of external reporting documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Researches and documents complex technical accounting positions including preparation of internal memorandums and analyses for review by upper management and the Company’s external auditors. Carries substantial knowledge of the lease accounting standard (ASC 842) and lease arrangement structures. Possesses enhanced technical writing abilities including concise documentation of accounting guidance, interpretations and conclusions. Performs certain routine corporate accounting functions in technical areas. Performs ad hoc analyses to aid executive management in decision-making. Provides consultation to other Finance, Accounting and Operations personnel on the accounting implications of contracts, transactions and events. Collaborates with a group of professionals with significant SEC reporting and technical accounting background and expertise and supervises up to three professional staff. Reviews documentation compiled by the SEC Reporting team supporting the financial statements, notes and MD&A. Participates in the analysis and review of iXBRL submissions. Assists with the implementation of new accounting pronouncements.
Responsible for coordination of and compliance with SEC financial reporting Section 302 and 906 certifications. Maintains current knowledge of internal control changes and is involved with refinement of internal control processes. Encourages the reporting and remediation of control violations. Strives for continuous improvement within operations. Challenges conventional thinking in order to obtain the most efficient solutions to issues. Utilizes best practices, benchmarks and metrics to improve organization.
This position operates within broad parameters and is involved in applying accounting principles and other specialized expertise to solve complex accounting and reporting problems. Primary responsibilities include preparation, review and submission of periodic SEC filings and related releases, preparation and review of technical accounting memorandums and analyses, and supervision of key lease accounting activities. The position requires comfort with authoritative and interpretive accounting guidance pertinent to industrial manufacturing companies including revenue recognition, inventory costing, cost capitalization, leases, business combinations, etc. The position requires interfacing with personnel at all levels of the Company, including across divisions and departments within the organization. The position involves routine interaction with the Company’s internal and external auditors on technical accounting, SEC reporting and other corporate accounting matters. The position calls for regular assessment of newly proposed and implemented accounting standards and communication of the implications to company stakeholders. The position is responsible for assuring that pertinent financial systems are maintained and internal controls are strong.
- Manages the preparation, review and submission of external reporting documents filed with the SEC.
- Ensures timely and accurate presentation of financial statements and disclosures in accordance with GAAP and SEC regulations, as well as consistent presentation of earnings and related releases.
- Researches, interprets and documents complex technical accounting issues – including those related to implementation of new accounting and reporting pronouncements – in the form of internal memorandums and analyses for review by upper management and the Company’s external auditors.
- Applies knowledge of the lease accounting standard (ASC 842) and lease arrangement structures to monthly lease accounting activities.
- Demonstrates enhanced technical writing abilities including a mastery of grammar and writing structure.
- Demonstrates comfort with authoritative and interpretive accounting guidance pertinent to industrial manufacturing companies including revenue recognition, inventory costing, cost capitalization, leases, business combinations, etc.
- Supports the preparation of the Company’s consolidated statement of cash flows.
- Performs ad hoc analyses with quick turnaround times to aid executive management with decisions-making.
- Provides critical support for the annual audits of financial statements and internal controls.
- Provides consultation to other Finance, Accounting and Operations personnel on the accounting implications of contracts, transactions and events
- Provides technical accounting training to corporate and divisional accounting teams.
- Assist with corporate governance requirements and documentation.
- Assist with the preparation and review of the accounting for acquisitions.
- Implement controls in accordance with regulations and laws and maintain current knowledge of internal control changes and refine internal control processes, as necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required
- At least 5 years of experience at a large accounting firm, or combination of public accounting and industry
- Comprehensive knowledge of SEC rules and GAAP accounting and disclosure requirements
- Exemplary writing and communication skills
- Strong PC skills (Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Proven supervisory and management skills