Portland, Oregon - Added Mar 22nd, 2021Apply For this Opportunity Back to Results
- Controller will provide oversight and management over finance and accounting functions and internal controls for the organization. Responsibilities include maintaining reliable financial records, providing financial reporting in compliance with GAAP and regulatory requirements, managing the ALM measurement and reporting process, monitoring credit risk for consumer and residential real estate loans and delivering operational efficiency. Additionally, you will supervise, train, and manage the performance and development of the finance and accounting team.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the accounting department. Manages workflow and staff productivity to ensure excellent service to internal customers and members at all times.
- Demonstrates effective leadership and teambuilding skills by engaging employees in process improvement, goal setting, and promoting cooperation among employees and other departments.
- Manages the department’s personnel administration activities including job assignments, attendance, training, coaching, performance evaluation and compensation within established guidelines and policies.
- Responsible for the completion of internal and external financial reporting of the company. Reviews financial reports on an on-going basis to ensure accuracy. Confirms that all accounts are balanced appropriately on a monthly basis. Ensures accounting records and reports are in compliance with GAAP and government regulations.
- Responsible for the oversight of ALM reporting prepared by ALM First to ensure the input data is accurate, the assumptions are reasonable and the report information is valid.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of budgets and forecasts. Provides information and analysis to the SVP/CFO with regard to the financial impact of the company’s short and long-term strategic goals/objectives.
- Oversees financial support to all other credit union departments. Makes recommendations to the SVP/CFO for short and long-term goals of the Accounting department as they relate to the overall objectives of the organization. Provides input to assist in the development of special projects and new services.
- Responsible for the oversight of the credit risk monitoring of consumer and residential real estate loans and performance of third party originated loans.
- Appraises the organization’s financial position. Issues periodic financial/operating reports that adequately assess and report on the financial condition of the credit union.
- Responsible for accurate records of the daily cash position, generating appropriate decisions that best utilize those funds.
- Responsible for accurate records of the credit union’s investment and loan participation portfolios to track and monitor investment activity and ensure proper receipt of interest income.
- Responsible for maintaining the asset inventory and depreciation records.
- Ensures the accurate, timely processing of accounts payable, employee payroll processing and payroll tax compliance.
- Performs research and analysis to provide management with financial data/recommendations for use in setting and realizing profit objectives. Evaluates financial alternatives and recommends appropriate actions.
- Responsible for the preparation of local, state and federal tax returns.
- Manages the employee incentive programs; oversees all calculations, and prepares reports and communications.
- Work with external and internal auditors to ensure information is provided in a timely and accurate manner. Offer recommendations to provide procedural improvements. Maintain compliance with state, local and federal laws.
- Assists with maintenance of the general accounting system. Assists in implementing new accounting systems and revises existing systems as needed including related controls.
- Conducts effective department meetings to keep staff informed, provide training opportunities, solve problems, review team goal attainment, adjust team goals and gives appropriate recognition to team members.
- Oversees vendor management and business continuity for the department. This includes new vendor analysis, relationship management, contract negotiations and product integration requirements as well as regularly maintaining the department business continuity plan and educating staff on the plan.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in financial accounting.
- Five or more years’ experience in a leadership position in a financial institution (bank and/or credit union) accounting department.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting is required, CPA required.
Job ID: 8868