Job Title: API/Data Architect
Work Authorization: Not offering sponsorship currently.
Position Type: Direct Hire
Our client is a research-based, not-for-profit organization that supports students and educators worldwide by creating assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency—and provide timely data to help tailor instruction. For more than 40 years, they have developed innovative pre-K–12 assessments. Educators trust their professional learning offerings to accelerate student learning and their research to support assessment validity and data interpretation. More than 11 million students in 146 countries use their solutions to support their learning and growth each year.
As the API & Data Architect, you will focus on data architecture for their AWS platform. This position requires a strong background in AWS technologies for data pipeline, data lake, and data warehousing as well as experience in REST API design and data modeling for relational and NoSQL stores. In this key role, you will help design their data pipeline, data lake and reporting architecture, defining how data will be stored, consumed, integrated, and managed by different data consumers.
General Functions and Outcomes
Data architecture and design for their platform's data pipeline:
- Transform from classic data warehouse and ETL architecture to continuous stream-based analysis.
- Enable customers to extend application and reporting needs with self-service APIs and Data Models
- Serve as a trusted technical advisor for business and technical departments by providing practical and relevant advice.
- Create architecture artifacts (Logical Architecture Diagrams, Workflows, Data Flow Diagrams, etc.) to effectively communicate solutions to varied audiences.
- Work with business stakeholders to understand business strategy and requirements and align solutions to business strategy.
- Prototype, as needed, to engage with other technical minds and vet solutions.
- Participate in making build vs. buy decisions based upon business capability model, resource capacity, and risk.
- Partner with other architects and lead developers to form detailed designs on new projects.
Provide organization and governance of all data storage strategies for their applications:
- Creating, defining, or choosing consistent data storage solutions for applications
- Provide continuity in all major application solution decisions.
- Advise on the use of emerging technology for maximizing business benefits; research, prototype, and document the organization’s best practices based on industry standards for new technology usage.
Provide design guidance, standards, and governance of all data models:
- Support platform consolidation efforts in migrating to common foundational data models.
- Lead organization-wide effort to create artifacts which show their enterprise data model.
Provide oversight over REST API design:
- Bring forward API management, versioning, and technology that strengthens their API platform.
- Cultivate organizational partnerships to ensure comprehensive capabilities are developed with proper input from subject matter experts.
- Partner with product management to ensure platform APIs and data is technically solid, consumable, consistent and best meets the needs of customers.
- Grow knowledge on the Education domain from a data perspective.
Support delivery teams:
- Provide support to development teams for solving enterprise-wide challenging technical problems through application of prototypes and knowledge of industry best practices.
- Provide mentoring on software design, construction and development methodologies through one-on-one interaction, meetings, and brown bag sessions.
Skills and Abilities...
- Depth in data modeling and database design for both relational and NoSQL data stores
- Ability to design REST APIs, canonical data models, versioning and how to design for longevity/extensibility.
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture: When the data architect initiates, evaluates, and influences projects he or she does so from the perspective of the entire organization.
- Able to articulate and advocate strategy and direction for technology and architecture throughout the organization.
- Ability to communicate well with development teams, product managers, project managers, and partners.
- Experience developing enterprise solutions for fast paced organization.
- Instill trust: gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Communicate effectively: develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Customer focus: build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions.
- Drive results: consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances.
Education and Experience...
- 5+ years of experience as a software architect using AWS technologies (e.g., Kinesis, Redshift, Lambda) and knowledge of current AWS best practices in data storage and processing.
- 4+ years of experience designing solutions that run highly concurrent workloads in production on modern data warehouses such as AWS Redshift and Snowflake
- 4+ years’ experience designing REST APIs for multiple industries.
- Experience with API management technologies
- Significant experience with modern data pipeline tools for batch and streaming.
- Experience with data pipeline orchestration and scheduling.
- Experience with modern tools for testing data pipelines.
- Strong experience in developing within a microservice architecture.
- 10+ years of experience in developing software in a fast-paced company or technology consulting environment.
- Minimum B.S. degree in computer science or a related field; Master’s degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.