Senior Systems Engineer
Job Title: Sr. Systems Engineer
Location: Portland, OR area
Work Authorization: We cannot offer sponsorship at this time.
Position Type: Direct Hire
Our client has been engineering and building precision automation solutions for over 45 years. In the last 10 years they have grown their global footprint with employees and clients in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, while diversifying the industries they serve.
Your challenge is to lead cross-functional technical teams responsible for the design and performance of complex custom automation equipment from concept through release, manufacturing, customer acceptance, installation and customer follow-up.
General Functions and Outcomes
- Prepare innovative design concepts and/or analysis critical to success of projects through application of modeling techniques to support system requirements, design, analysis, verification and validation activities beginning in the conceptual design phase and continuing throughout development and later life cycle phases.
- Coordinate mechanical, electrical, software, controls, and applications engineering disciplines for the execution of custom automation projects to meet the technical requirements.
- First responder for customer facing electro-mechanical automation machines, with minimal notice for international travel as needed. Sometimes lasting 3-4 weeks or longer as needed.
- Excellent root cause analysis and problem solving with minimal direction and customer interaction.
- Self-motivated and pace setter for rapid resolution and customer satisfaction.
- Business acumen when it comes to solution based decision making and issue resolution.
- Able to lead technical teams of up to 10 technicians and engineers through issue resolution and root cause determination, and maintain customer facing relations and updates as frequently as required.
- Provide technical guidance for preventative actions to reduce and eliminate issues that take away from sustaining manufacturing with extremely high machine uptime and process capability.
- Create test plans for acceptance testing (i.e. IAT, FAT, and SAT) to optimize and satisfy customer based requirements, while meeting functional and performance requirements.
Education and Experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering at minimum, advanced degree desirable.
- Recent 10+ years engineering experience with 5+ years' experience as a systems engineer in the machine design / automation industry with combination of design, debug, and production support.
- Technical expert in at least one of the following disciplines, direct experience with 3+, and working knowledge 5+:
- Precision Mechanical Design
- Stepper and Servo motor (position encoder) debug and problem resolution
- Motion control
- Algorithm design
- EE analog circuit design
- EE mixed signal design
- EE digital design
- Optical systems
- Machine vision and vision tools—Cognex a plus
- Firmware development
- Object Oriented SW development
- GAMP 5 or equivalent experience
- Familiarity and competency with statistical analysis, including a deep knowledge and application of gage R&R and process capability.
- Familiarity with cameras, optics, and lighting for challenging vision applications.
- Demonstrated track record of success throughout the full project lifecycle (definition, development, validation, and manufacturing).
- Solidworks and PDM proficiency preferred.
- Strong sense of personal accountability and performance orientation.
- Strong work ethic, highly results oriented and high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Excellent problem solving skills that incorporate data and statistics to determine corrective and preventative actions.
- Must be able to work with and lead technical teams through influence rather than position.
- Demonstrated customer focus and orientation to creating value for the customer.
- Organizationally nimble, able to navigate the customer and internal organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, questioning/listening skills, and presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical concepts to non-experts.
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 20% of time, for durations of 3-4 weeks or as needed, occasionally with little advanced notice.
- Must possess a valid passport.
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.