Director of Communications
About Urban league of Portland
Established in 1945, the Urban League of Portland is one of the oldest African American service, civil rights and advocacy organizations in the region. We are part of a network of over 80 National Urban League Affiliates across the country and are recognized as one of the leading voices for African Americans and others in Oregon and Southwest Washington. We are a key coalition-builder amongst other organizations, and work extensively with both traditional and emerging groups, the faith-based community, businesses, and other organizations, including those serving immigrants and refugees. The Urban League of Portland’s mission is to empower African Americans and others to achieve equality in education, employment, health, economic security and quality of life. Our programs include a distinctive blend of direct services, organizing, outreach, and advocacy. We offer workforce services, community health services, summer youth programming, senior services, meaningful civic engagement opportunities, and powerful advocacy.
Equal Opportunity Statement: The Urban League of Portland is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Learn more at https://ulpdx.org/
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER/DIRECTOR POSITION SUMMARY
The Communications Manager/Director is a new position with the Urban League of Portland and will develop and execute an annual communication plan for the organization. This position will work interdepartmentally to lead objectives and manage responsibilities related to promoting the organization to the community. This position oversees all internal and external communications ensuring messaging is engaging and consistent to our brand integrity.
This candidate must be able to write and post content about our programs, events and fundraising campaigns on our website, social media accounts and supporter emails. The ideal candidate will have work experience in a nonprofit environment and possess strong writing skills and experience in digital layouts and publishing. A keen understanding of major social media platforms’ tools and a passion for digital strategy, results, and analytics are integral to this position,
The Communications Manager/Director will deliver proactive, responsive support to the CEO, Director of Development, and other colleagues across the organization to advance our program and fundraising communication objectives.
- Responsible for the development, execution and measurement of communication strategies to maintain brand identity and message consistency.
- Own and execute engaging digital content that provide an overall rich experience. Manage all postings to ensure content is on-brand and search- and social-optimized.
- Lead digital execution—across email, website, and social media—of fundraising and engagement campaigns throughout the year including key days and events.
- Manage the Urban League’s website content, and create and update marketing collateral, fact sheets, e-newsletters, direct mail, and print and digital signage.
- Manage the process for the content, format, and production of the Annual Report.
- Procure and collect program participant stories and photos. This may include attending events.
- Collaborate with team members to determine best-practices, and identify and eliminate inefficiencies in our communications workflows.
- Represent the Urban League at donor and outreach events when applicable.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with local media including newspapers, television and radio stations.
- Assist with development administrative tasks as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- The Communications Manager/Director will demonstrate a keen interest in the mission of the League, in addition to demonstrating a strong commitment to applying a racial equity lens in all the work that they do.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills as well as the ability to develop substantive relationships with people of different religions, races, genders, sexual orientation, and other backgrounds.
- Experience in communications, graphic design, journalism, marketing, non-profit management, public affairs, public relations or a related field.
- Superior writing skills, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally.
- Graphic design and layout skills required including experience with design software, such as InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Constant Contact and Canva.
- Demonstrates a keen attention to detail, a commitment to follow-through, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess strong planning skills, and the ability to manage and track multiple projects with self-direction, creativity, and flexibility.
- Ability to effectively work interdepartmentally to further engagement and productivity around communication strategies.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to work with competing deadlines in various settings, i.e., remote, team settings, and in the office. Comfortable with video conferencing and remote office tools.
- Strong working knowledge of general office equipment and computers. Adept with Microsoft Office products including Teams.
Certificates, Education and Licenses
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or 3-years of experience directly related to the job duties may be considered.
When not remote, this job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.