IT Project Manager
Job Title: Technical Project Manager
Location: Portland, OR, open to remote
Work Authorization: We cannot offer sponsorship at this time.
Position Type: 6-month Contract
A Technical Project Manager manages work efforts from concept through close-out and supports the management of work efforts of varying complexity and technical scope.
The Technical Project Manager IV handles the largest and most complex of assignments and may lead teams of people to ensure work efforts are delivered on schedule and within budget, while satisfying agreed-upon customer requirements and specifications within the scope of the work effort.
General Functions and Outcomes
- Responsible for work effort outcomes through supporting collection of estimates, effective planning, task definition, scope management, resource allocation and negotiation, risk mitigation, cost management, and stakeholder communication.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting on work effort tasks, deliverables, costs, resources, issues, changes, risks and quality assurance. This includes responsibility for monitoring measures and milestones by defining, collecting and analyzing metrics to ensure work efforts are on target.
- Creates and maintains plans and other documentation in compliance with established standards. This includes schedules and budgets, and plans for quality, resources, communications and risks.
- Develops and maintains the overall work effort documentation library ensuring that all documentation is established, maintained and retained as necessary.
- May act as vendor manager for key relationships.
- Prepares status and other reports, and presents information to organizational leadership, work teams, and client/customer groups.
- Responsible for supporting multiple work efforts ensuring timely deliverables within budgetary constraints and proactively recommends courses of action to maintain cost effectiveness.
- Contributes to the development of, and ensure adherence to, company adopted project management methods.
- Responsible for project management activities in accordance with generally accepted Project Management policies and standards.
- Remains current on new project management methodology
- Ensures timely resolution of problems within the scope of the assignment(s).
- May participate as a key member of an agile team and may perform ScrumMaster role.
- Responsible for overseeing multiple work efforts ensuring timely delivery within budgetary constraints.
- Manage the overall work effort plan(s). Prepares and presents work effort plans and status reports to organizational leadership, teams, and client/customer groups.
- Plan, direct, coordinate and report project management activities in accordance with the generally accepted project management policies and standards.
- Assemble work effort team, assign individual responsibilities, identify appropriate resources and provide guidance and direction to team members.
- May act as ScrumMaster for one or more Agile teams.
- Manages largest and most complex work efforts for the business area.
- Mentor and develop project management skills in project managers. Mentor other team members as necessary.
- May act as ScrumMaster for more than one Agile teams.
- May provide oversight to other Technical Project Manager work efforts.
- May define or facilitate process and delivery improvements.
Education and Experience.
- Familiarity with the Project Management Institute (PMI) Guide and the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) including understanding of the project lifecycle.
- Demonstrated high-level technical understanding of business requirements as they pertain to Project Management principles and the project lifecycle including demonstrated excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage small, less complex work efforts, demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimum supervision and demonstrated ability to work with business sponsors and partners to identify and implement solutions including demonstrated ability to motivate teams to achieve defined deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems, mediate issues, develop solutions and implement a course of action.
- Demonstrated success at meeting budget, timelines, and requirement targets and managing variances.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office suite of tools and automated project management software.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills including writing, presenting, listening, and facilitating and including demonstrated experience presenting to work effort participants, stakeholders and all levels of management.
- Ability to identify milestones/deliverable delays and critical resource allocation issues from the work breakdown schedule.
- Demonstrated understanding of Agile delivery methodologies
- For infrastructure teams, demonstrated understanding of ITIL Framework Governance and guidelines.
- Ability to manage work efforts of medium size and moderate complexity.
- Demonstrated functional competencies including: Budgeting, Change Management, Client Management, Methodology Approach and Business Life Cycle, Mission/Vision/Strategy, Planning and Organization, Risk Management, Agile delivery methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large scale, highly complex work efforts successfully and within budgetary guidelines.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills including ability to influence without authority
- Demonstrated applied success in leading multi-disciplinary, high-performance work teams.
- Demonstrated success at mentoring and developing project management skills in more junior project managers.
- ScrumMaster Certification (CSM) or PMI-ACP certification (PMI Agile Certified Practitioner) is preferred
- Demonstrated ability in mentoring, training, and providing oversight for other Technical Project Managers, and demonstrated leadership in defining and implementing process or delivery improvements.
- Demonstrated success at leading vendor work efforts.
- ScrumMaster Certification (CSM) or PMI-ACP certification (PMI Agile Certified Practitioner) required with demonstrated experience working with an agile or technical team.
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.