Job Title: Senior Architect
Location: Portland, OR, open to remote
Work Authorization: We cannot offer sponsorship at this time.
Position Type: Direct Hire
As a Senior Architect within the Architecture team, you will be responsible for solution architecture and participation on reference architecture projects with a focus on AWS architecture and common microservices platform capabilities (e.g., auth, identity, logging, etc.). This position requires significant experience in AWS serverless technologies (AWS Lambda), as well as authentication, authorization, and identity management. In the Senior Architect role, you will interface with Product Engineering and Product Management to make their APIs a first-class, consistent, and highly consumable product. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to shape how their platform matures to support higher levels of quality and innovation. This is a full-time position with competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package. Candidates may work remotely from any location in the U.S.
Your next challenge . . .
- Solution Architecture and Design Oversight
- Serve as a trusted technical advisor for business and technical departments by providing objective, practical and relevant advice
- Create architecture artifacts (logical architecture diagrams, workflows, data flow diagrams, presentations, etc.) to effectively communicate solutions to varied audiences
- Work with business stakeholders to understand business strategy and requirements and align solutions to business strategy and business capability model
- Continually evaluate emerging technology and its applicability to business strategy and technical roadmap
- Prototype, as needed, to engage with other technical minds and vet solution ideas
- Ensure solutions meet policies and requirements for technical standards, security, operation, and support
- Determine options in making build vs. buy decisions based upon business capability model, resource capacity, and risk
- Assessing and communicating the business impact of technical options
- Solution Architecture Engagement Lead
- Oversight of the architecture team's solution architecture engagement (defining processes, measuring health)
- Hosting collaboration and design review meetings with architects and stakeholders
- Manage enterprise-wise view of solution requests to ensure success of the highest priority projects
- Shared Services for the Platform
- High level design for authentication, authorization, and identity management (IAM)
- Design and oversight of REST APIs and microservice composition
- Cultivate organizational partnerships to ensure comprehensive capabilities are developed with proper input from subject matter experts
- Partner with product management to ensure platform APIs and data is technically solid, consumable, consistent and best meets the needs of customers
- Grow knowledge on the Education domain from a data perspective
- Reference Architecture and Standards Formation
- Determine new reference architecture and standards in need of adoption to further improve technical infrastructure
- Collaborate on the development of reference architecture and standards
- Review and provide feedback for reference architecture and standards in development
- Support Delivery Teams
- Provide support to development teams for solving enterprise wide challenging technical problems through application of prototypes and knowledge of industry best practices
- Provide mentoring on software design, construction and development methodologies through one-on-one interaction, meetings, and brown bag sessions
Traits for success . . .
- Able to articulate and advocate strategy and direction for technology and architecture throughout the organization
- Ability to communicate well with development teams, product managers, project managers, and partners
- Ability to work under tight timelines in a fast-paced environment while developing and maintaining long term supportive relationships
- Experience developing enterprise solutions for fast paced organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals and skill levels
- Strong understanding of cloud technology and platforms
- Strong understanding of REST API design, OpenAPI specification and spec-driven development
Competencies . . .
- Instill trust: gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
- Communicate effectively: develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Customer focus: build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions
- Drive results: consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
- Manage complexity: make sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Strategic mindset: see ahead to future possibilities and translate them into breakthrough strategies and opportunities
- Collaborate: build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Persuade: use compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others
- Manage ambiguity: operate effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear
- Decision quality: make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
Education and Experience.
- 10+ years of experience in developing software in a fast-paced company or technology consulting environment
- 5+ years of experience as a software architect using AWS technologies (AWS Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, Cognito)
- Strong microservice architecture experience
- Experience implementing authentication, authorization, and identity management (IAM) in microservice platforms
- Minimum B.S. degree in computer science or a related field; Master’s degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.