Accounts Payable Manager
The Accounts Payable (AP) Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Accounts Payable Department and all accounts payable related transactions, processes, and procedures. Duties include ensuring the accuracy and timely recording of all payables data for the Company. The AP Manager will manage the entire AP team to provide guidance, training, and leadership for the purpose of accurate and timely AP processing and developing and implementing policies and procedures for AP functions. AP Manager will drive and monitor the achievements of the overall team and its individuals by analyzing and reporting financial information, preparing financial reconciliations, and other tasks.
In addition to the day to day responsibilities of various accounts payable transaction and reporting functions, success in this role involves effectively managing all aspects of the accounts payable department as well as planning, leading, and executing on various payable related projects. Projects will include tactical and strategic areas including business process and systems improvements, efficiency initiatives, developing effective reporting and analysis, and expansion activities. This includes working with cross functional resources, building and maintaining relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, and continually seeking mechanisms to streamline and automate processes.
-Manage the Accounts Payable team of 8 team members and all aspects of the day to day operations of the Accounts Payable Department.
-Develop and train team members to enhance each employee’s understanding of the Company’s processes and procedures as it pertains to Accounts Payable. Continuously monitor and measure effectiveness of the team as well as current training and reference tools/materials and make appropriate adjustments as needed.
-Review, verify and code invoices to the general ledger as appropriate to ensure the accurate and timely recording of costs and expenses to the financial statements.
-Manage monthly closing of financial records and posting of month end information as it relates to Accounts Payable; ensure accuracy of financial statements and account reconciliations.
-Use department specific metrics and vendor feedback to manage the quantitative and qualitative results of the AP team to ensure established expectations are being met at all times. Review, research, and work with the Corporate Controller to implement modifications to drive improvements and efficiencies in internal processes and internal controls.
-Maintain current department technical knowledge by remaining up to date on how to execute tasks in all areas of the department including but not limited to; data entry, check requests, rent schedules & payments, employee reimbursements, utilities invoices, payments, and reversals.
-Maintain tracking systems to report vendor account health within scope of role. Analyze current reports and metrics and provide reports to Corporate Controller and other management as needed.
-Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years of experience in a high volume AP and accounting setting
- Minimum five years’ experience in a supervisory, or management role
- Extensive experience in a customer-facing AP role
- Experience analyzing, identifying, recommending, and executing solutions based on sound data
- Experience with AP process automation and transformation
- Solid knowledge of AP processes and procedures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong skills in MS Office (must have Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills)
- Excellent detail orientation, organization, and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate orally and via email with all levels of internal and external parties while building positive relationships and maintaining a high level of professionalism at all times
- Strong problem solving skills, basic accounting principles knowledge, documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis and multi-tasking skills
- Thorough knowledge of applicable accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures
- Self-driven, intellectually curious individual with a high sense of personal ownership
- Ability to demonstrate responsibility and accountability in decision making