Buyer position overview:
Portland’s largest hospital is seeking a Buyer to join their team! This position is responsible for supplies and services, maintains a strong customer service focus, and participates in bidding, contracting, negotiating, problem solving, cost-savings and process improvement activities.
This work is performed to help meet customer needs, keep the supply chain running smoothly, and ensure the financial stability of the company.
Buyer position responsibilities:
- Procurement Functions: Review purchase requisitions to determine appropriate purchasing method.
- Consults with customers to determine specifications and propose lower-cost/higher value alternatives whenever applicable
- Locates, evaluates, and selects suppliers
- Issues standard and blanket purchase orders for goods and services ranging from routine to complex, with total annual spend ranging from $30-70 million per buyer
- Advises customers and other department employees about best purchasing practices
- Solicits informal quotations
- Assists Contract Coordinators in developing formal solicitations
- Monitors blanket PO’s and pricing and updates accordingly
- Negotiates with suppliers to provide competitive pricing and service to departments
- Benchmarks the company pricing among other institutions in order to identify savings opportunities
- Customer Service: Advises hospital and university staff about best purchasing practices; works on department’s behalf to positively impact their budgets and increase their bottom line; coordinates problem resolution efforts with customers, suppliers, and payables staff
- Communicates in a timely manner via phone and email with a diverse set of customers
- Processes Urgent purchase orders within two hours of receipt, and Non-Urgent purchase orders by the close of next business day as per our Service Level of Agreement with our customers
- Upholds company policies and departmental procedures
- Works as a procurement liaison with departments to guide departments in proper procurement principles
- Development of Strategic Direction: Analyzes existing and potential supply chain problems and their root causes to develop strategic solutions; participates in process improvement efforts and cost reduction initiatives
- Project Management: Leads or assists cross-functional teams engaged in supply chain related projects. Documents project plans, timelines, constraints, and progress
- Communicates project objectives and progress to stakeholders
- Leads project meetings
- Coordinates with related departments, projects, and resources
- Savings: Seeks cost savings whenever possible without compromising quality, with the goal of reaching—or exceeding—annual savings expectations
- Drives savings through supplier negotiations, seeking alternate sources, contract development and benchmarking
- Tracks and communicate all savings to management and departments and provides documentation/backup as needed.
Buyer position requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or a closely related field or 3 years of relevant experience is required
- 2 years purchasing experience which must include using best purchasing practices, procedures, benchmarking and techniques is required
- Proficiency using spreadsheets, databases and word processing software is required
- Demonstrates basic understanding of healthcare and purchasing terminology is required.
- Demonstrates experience participating in cost savings or process improvement projects is required
- Inventory management and/or inventory management theory is highly desired
- Experience in healthcare environment is highly desired
- Oracle purchasing module experience is highly desired
- CPM, CPPB or other applicable national procurement certification is highly desired
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of Females/Minorities/Vets/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Status. MM694939129