Steel Mill Accounting Manager
The Accounting Manager position reports to the Operations Controller. This person will be responsible for all aspects of accounting for the steel mill, including managing one accounting supervisor and staff accountant. You will partner will work closely to support the Operations Controller, the financial business partner and department managers at the steel mill.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Managing period-end close for the steel mill. Successful close management requires coordination with operations personnel and the Corporate Accounting team.
- Reviewing and approving journal entries and account reconciliations with emphasis on compliance with GAAP, SOX, and internal policies and procedures. May require preparing journal entries as needed.
- Coordinating and sometimes leading production cost review meetings with steel mill management.
- Reviewing flux analysis and cash flow statement.
- Oversight of daily invoicing for finished steel sales with emphasis on revenue recognition standards.
- Building relationships with our joint venture partners and reviewing the quarterly memo distributed to Senior Leadership.
- Reviewing and/or preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual census surveys.
- Participating in the external and internal audit process and ensuring support provided to auditors is timely and accurate.
- Management of an Accounting Supervisor and Staff Accountant, providing guidance and direction as needed to encourage engagement and development.
- Actively participating in building a culture of continuous improvement.
Qualifications and skill sets:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited institution.
- 7+ years of accounting experience, with a minimum of 2 years direct management of accounting staff.
- Manufacturing industry experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and accrual-based accounting. Inventory accounting experience is preferred, but not required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel software and ERP systems (preferably Oracle).
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to manage, build relationships and communicate effectively.
- Willingness to challenge conventional thinking for the betterment of the company.
- Capable of thriving in a dynamic and constantly changing environment.
- Prepared to operate at all levels (no task is beneath you), stay connected to the details, audit frequently, and exercise skepticism when metrics and anecdote differ.