JOB TITLE: JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Under direction of the Operations Superintendent and guidance of the Line and Working Foremen, performs assigned work related to the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground electric distribution system and related equipment. This position is classified as a fulltime, non-exempt position with no supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Maintain and repairs cable, conduit, vaults, enclosures and transformers.
- Performs switching, locating, hi-potting and testing, fault finding, exposing, splicing and terminating of URD cables.
- Operates man-lifts, digger derrick, Backhoe, dump trucks, wire pullers, air compressor and other utility vehicles, power tools and hand tools associated with the electric line trade.
- Loads, unloads, frames and sets or removes poles. Installs or removes lightning arresters, terminators, cutouts, transformers, capacitors, reclosers, sectionalizers, regulators, and/or other protective devices.
- Transfers, installs and removes conductor guys and risers, street lights and other equipment used in the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead distribution lines.
- Operates and installs switches, tags and grounds on distribution circuits and loads.
- Locates trouble in primary and secondary lines or cables and repairs to restore service, as well as for locates utilities for outside agencies, such as the Oregon Utility Notification Center.
- Disconnects and reconnects utility services for service orders, delivers disconnect notices and obtains meter re-reads as requested by customer service department.
- Cleans, stocks and loads vehicles. Inspects vehicles and equipment and performs minor repair and maintenance, or request follow-up repair work.
- Performs pole top, bucket and vault rescue when necessary and in training exercises.
- Performs tree trimming on, or near, energized lines or equipment as needed.
- Operates, installs, removes and maintains equipment as required. Installs and removes meters and CT’s and PT’s as required.
- Performs duties before/after normal working hours, on weekends and/or holidays as emergencies arise or assigned for emergency response.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Follows all safety rules.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Must be schooled in the fundamentals of electricity required in line construction and maintenance and property apply the tools and equipment of the trade.
- Knowledge of substations, protective systems and distribution systems for residential, commercial and industrial customers.
- Knowledge of practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the electrical trade (including overhead and underground systems).
- Knowledge of electrical theory and principles related to power transmission and distribution systems and ability to read and interpret system maps, work sketches and diagrams.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, Oregon OSHA 1910.269, policies and procedures, as well as the utility’s line construction and maintenance standards;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions for this type of work.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to maintain interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy with fellow employees.
- The ability to courteously and effectively deal with customer complaints, service questions or problems is necessary
REQUIREMENTS: A high school diploma or G.E.D. is required, plus the successful completion of an approved journeyman lineman apprenticeship program, including course work in electricity, mathematics and mechanical fundamentals pertaining to line and substation construction.
Must be willing to be available and responsive to emergency call-outs.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
- Individual assigned to this position will work in field conditions under potentially adverse weather situations.
- Must have the ability to climb poles, including conducting a pole top rescue if necessary.
- During system emergencies, individual is expected to work extended out-of-routine hours.
- Position requires being able to lift up to 100 pounds on occasion, climbing, pushing, and pulling.
- An employee in this position may be exposed to hazardous materials, substances or circumstances.
- Individuals with restrictions in physical mobility including walking, bending, lifting, climbing, etc. may be unable to perform the essential functions of this job.