The Group Underwriter III demonstrates mastery of underwriting principles, leverages relationships with Sales & Service and Underwriting Management to achieve new and renewing business goals. This position takes a high-level view of the quoting process, identifying opportunities, and shoring up gaps. The Group Underwriter III serves as a lead and will assist in providing guidance to Group Underwriters I and II.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurately quote and renew all 51+ business which include:
- Experience- and non-experience-rated
- Medical/pharmacy, dental, and vision
- Fully-insured, ASO groups, minimum premium and refunding
- Oregon, Alaska, and any additional states
- Manipulate quoting and renewing templates
- Independently analyze regular and large claims experience to assess risk
- Run ad-hoc queries as needed for renewals
- Perform all work within established internal and/or regulatory guidelines
- Prepare Schedule A, fiscal settlements for refunding groups as well as assist with check requests
- Triage and manage relativity requests from sales
- Provide input on quoting and renewing strategies based on experience within each segment
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Position Proficiency Requirements
- Bachelor degree or equivalent specializing in mathematics, liberal arts, or health care industry.
- 5+ years’ related experience or 2 years’ experience as a Group Underwriter II
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Can comfortably apply and manipulate mathematical formulas.
- Can clearly communicate technical results to non-technical audiences.
- Pays attention to detail, and strives to produce accurate work.
- Ability to meet deadlines, project a professional image, and build positive relationships.
- Ability to apply independent judgement (as needed) to achieve objectives and negotiate within limits.
- Based out of Portland with option to occasionally work from home, assuming all requirements have been met.
- Extensive close keyboard and PC work.
- Work in excess of 40 hours per week, including evenings and occasional weekends, to meet business need.
Contact with Others:
- Primarily internal contacts with various departments. May accompany sales and service representatives on visits to groups and brokers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status