PS - Accountant 3 JP # 9060
Our client, a prominent utility company in the Pacific Northwest, is looking to add a talented Accountant to their team in Portland, OR. This full-time contract Accountant position will provide accounting support services to the company's Accounting and Financial Reporting (FR) group within the Finance (F) organization. This position also serves as the accounting lead for coordinating accounting implementations and projects involving cross-agency work teams.
- Prepare, review and verify journal entries are accurate and complete for processing.
- Prepare, review and verify General Ledger account reconciliations are accurate and complete.
- Perform analysis of complex or unique accounting issues which involves researching and analyzing all generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and other non-GAAP (i.e., Office of Management & Budget/Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board) available material for appropriate accounting and disclosure treatment for accounting issues and questions. Act as Subject Matter Expert to support/recommend appropriate accounting treatment(s) to management and external auditors via formal accounting issue papers or other methods such as formal presentations.
- Facilitate the development of briefing papers, presentations, and recommendations concerning complex accounting issues as requested.
- Coordinate with external audit firms as required for quarterly/annual work and to support bond offerings.
- Serve as the accounting technical lead or representative, coordinating manager approved accounting implementations and projects involving cross-agency work teams. Perform a variety of complex analyses and develop reports and briefing papers to support management’s decisions related to financial operations.
- Research and respond to financial client needs and provide support regarding questions involving accounting and financial processes. Conduct specialized studies which address significant accounting or fiscal concerns that could affect the company's financial position. Alert the Manager of any noted concerns or potential issues.
- Work with business services organizations and upper management on a wide range of contract issues with significant financial statement impact; review contracts as needed to assess accounting impacts and perform a hierarchy of GAAP analysis when deemed necessary.
- Review and analyze internal control over financial reporting to identify management control weaknesses and areas needing improvement. Apply unique or extensive probing and analysis techniques and methods to accomplish the desired outcomes. Provide recommendations for improvements to management. Prepare/draft functional policies and procedures to implement approved recommendations. Work with owners of the various Program Policies and Procedures to facilitate coordination and inclusion.
- Prepare financial statements, financial queries and disclosures such as notes to financial statements, management’s discussion and analysis or other external or internal financial disclosures needed to support finance. Review, foot and proof information as well; maintain documentation on SharePoint or other locations to verify visibility of the work.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required.
- With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 10+ years of experience is required.
- Experience should include financial analysis and/or accounting in an analytical capacity in a fast paced environment.
- Candidate resume and matrix must include where and what types of activities were performed for each of the skills/applications listed below:
- Proficiency in PeopleSoft or other automated Business Enterprise System (BES).
- Intermediate or advanced Excel skills, specifically in accounting calculations.
- Experience preparing or auditing financial statements and footnote disclosures.
- User level experience with SharePoint, sufficient to maintain documentation.
- Proficiency with all other Microsoft Office Suite products, such as Word, PowerPoint and Outlook (MS Office 2010 proficiency required).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.