Museum Collections Specialist
Museum Collection Representative
2 year Contract
Pay: 20000 + 2k housing stipend per year
Our Client, Maxville Heritage Interpretive Center’s (MHIC) is seeking a Museum Collection Representative. In this role, the employee is responsible for oversight of MHIC’s artifact collections, including but not limited to development, execution, and revision of the collections management system in manual and digital form as necessary; review and updates to the PastPerfect database; management and execution of collections duties based on established principles of the profession in concert with the goals as enumerated in the strategic plan; oversight and responsibility alongside executive director of all aspects of the artifact collections from inventory, storage, to catalog on phase 1 of collections management project. The Specialist is responsible for conservation, care, handling, and storage of artifact collections and will serve as primary information resource concerning the collections and related matters.
MUSEUM COLLECTION REPRESENTATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Responsible for review and execution of all aspects of the Collections Policy and ensuring that policies and goals are legal, timely, meet professional standards and best practices.
· Ability to develop policies, processes, and procedures that reflect a global perspective and responsibility for the collection in perpetuity.
· Perform essential functions of management of the artifact collections within the framework of professional standards (e.g., American Association of Museums). Requires a high level of analytical and interpretive ability to maintain all aspects of documentation of the collection.
· Responsible for ensuring the accurate documentation to digital, print and video collections numbering approximately 1000 artifacts.
· Strict attention to detail in documentation of the collection is a must to prevent the loss of physical and intellectual control of the collections. Positive long-term impacts are increased visibility, donation of funds and artifacts, and long-term public support for the museum.
· Ensure that responses to written, telephone, and email inquiries from scholars, students, and other museum professionals regarding the acquisition and loan of historic artifacts, care of artifacts, general historical and research questions are answered in a timely and consistent manner.
· Perform day-to-day activities regarding artifact cataloging and documentation, including but not limited to descriptive cataloging, database entry, loan documentation, tracking exhibit on display.
· Responsible for ensuring the completion of necessary legal documents related to acquisitions and loans in a timely manner.
Contacts are made with the Executive Director daily until Specialist is prepared to work independently. Internal contact is made to and from specialist and director, in matters concerning artifact and library collections. Externally, contacts can be in-person, by telephone, or through written correspondence. Outside contacts may occur with potential or past donors, researchers, publishers, museum and library professionals, society patrons, Friends of MHIC, and businesspeople in fields related to artifact and library collections (e.g., conservators, galleries) These contacts may concern confidential and/or sensitive matters, sometimes requiring diplomacy in explaining the purposes and functions of the museum.
Demonstrated high level of analytical, interpersonal and project management skills. Proven ability to communicate both orally and in writing. Experience with and ability to meet deadlines. Proven collaborative skills and individual initiative.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
M.A. degree in Museum Studies, material culture studies, U.S. history, or related field required. Minimum three years of progressively responsible collections experience in a museum environment required. Additional years of experience in the field can compensate for education requirement.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid Oregon driver's license
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran statu
al origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status