IT Senior Storage Engineer
Job Title: Senior Storage Engineer
Location: Salt Lake City, open to Remote
Work Authorization: We cannot offer sponsorship at this time.
Position Type: Contract-to-Hire
Our client, a leading health care company dedicated to revolutionizing the industry, looking for a Senior Storage Engineer
This position may be asked to work on-call or off-hours: On-call would be a three-person rotation - right now it is 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off, though that can change if everyone agrees. Actual hit rate (being called after hours while on-call) is VERY low. It is not uncommon for the team to go months without a call. As for off hours - there are some business requirements for certain operations that require specific work to be done after 8 (sometimes 10) PM PAC. This also is not a huge load of work. Plan 2-3 hours of off-hours work per month. And typically, off hours work is "off shifted" or flexed.
General Functions and Outcomes
- Provides administration and support documentation.
- Leads the research and estimating of proposed work.
- Responsible for initiating process and system improvements and monitoring industry trends.
- Provides support and coordination in the effective administration of computing systems and support software.
- Directs and takes actions to ensure maximum systems availability.
- Provides technical training to team or Business partners through training sessions.
- Acts as a consultant to manage, configure, implement, monitor, identify, diagnose, resolve problems, and perform analysis in relation to the integrated IT environment and software.
- May lead project teams based on experience and knowledge.
- Responsible for hardware installation and configuration; storage subsystem and related storage networking and support software installation, upgrade, and patches; performance turning; and documentation.
- Demonstrates knowledge in networked SAN structure and architecture.
- Prepares and/or directs program, system, operational and User documentation.
- Prepares individual work plans and reports activities, tasks, milestones, deliverables, schedules, and status reports, as appropriate.
- Works as an active team member for joint success of a project, taking responsibility, and providing timely updates for, assigned action items and deliverables.
- Must maintain professional working relationships with vendors.
- Focuses on the operational activities that ensure maximum availability and reliability of the supported platform/technology.
- Uses common system maintenance tools, without assistance.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to other team members.
- Has crossover knowledge into other technical disciplines, which facilitate the understanding, coordination, and communication between technical areas.
- Learns and adapts to new technology and methodologies.
- Adheres to policies, procedures, and standards in place within the department and as well as all corporate policies, procedures and standards created by e client.
Education and Experience.
- Brocade SAN
- Shell scripting preferred.
- Automation skills preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Mathematics, Business Administration, or a related field. Appropriate additional experience beyond the minimum required experience may be substituted for education.
- Seven plus years of experience developing, installing, and operating Storage Area Networks (SAN), and F/C solutions, including Hitachi, IBM and NetApp, SAN fabrics, SAN Volume Controller (SVC), USPV, NetApp Filers, McData and Brocade switching technology, replication solutions, capacity planning, storage archiving, and hierarchical storage paradigms and management methodologies is required.
- Experience with Zoning, file and volume management, clustering and replication, backup and recovery solutions, high availability, storage consolidation, performance, and tuning, NFS, fabric topologies, SAN, RAID, and TCP/IP experience is required.
- Knowledge of Fibre Channel, SAN, RAID, and I/O storage subsystems, networking technologies, including protocols, routing, QoS, NIC, and HBA, of LAN and WAN data replication, including the various technologies available to perform replication and/or mirroring.
- Knowledge of information life-cycle management concepts and best practices
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN infrastructures
- Knowledge of Network Attached Storage (NAS) Gateway devices
- Knowledge of SAN/NAS environments with large enterprise storage systems
- Ability to manage a diversified workload and provide technical leadership in a data sensitive environment for a team of storage engineers.
- Ability to use problem-solving techniques, including root cause analysis to resolve issues.
- Must have a strong understanding of the MS and/or UNIX environment including common suites and core business applications.
- Must be able to automate tasks and document them for others to use.
- Must be able to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technologies and methodologies and apply them to technological and/or business needs.
- Experience in project management techniques and the ability to lead projects to a timely successful outcome.
- Experience in understanding/translating business requirements into technical solutions.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with coworkers and all levels of management both verbally and written.
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc:
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about who they hire.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.